Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A close call... 5/14/08

I have some bad news… In going to a routine radiation appointment, I was feeling especially weak and sweating and asked the nurses to take my temperature. That led to a check of my oxygenation level. It was alarmingly low and I was admitted to the hospital right away, with acute pneumonia.

Complicating the recovery, was that my lung tumor had started to close off my bronchial tube. I had no idea how sick I was… The radiation team immediately radiated my lung to shrink the tumor near the bronchial tube and pumped me full of antibiotics. All told I was in the hospital almost 2 weeks and am only home because I have supplemental oxygen. I am hooked to it 24/7, until I can demonstrate I can breathe adequately on my own.

I need your prayers more than ever. I have never been weaker physically after this fight, plus laying dormant for 12 days straight… Mentally I was a bit shaken. This was the first time doctors asked us if I wanted a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) order or not. Not easy to hear or answer.

Fortunately, we are past that hurdle and I will fight through this, too. I am starting to recover and feel like I am a little stronger each day.

Here’s my quick prayer list:

1. Full recovery from the pneumonia.
2. Relief from the neuropathy in my right hand (hard to type, write, loss of strength).
3. Relief from my back pain.
4. Strength for Amy.
5. Strength and Peace from Christ through all of this.

As I wake up each day I realize it is a gift from God. Another day to kiss my wife, hug my kids, watch them laugh, play, fight... :) Seriously each day is another that I can glorify Him. We can only take this one day at a time as we trust in God's plan for us all.

I’ll write more later. Sorry for these delays b/w them.

Grace and peace to you,
Eric

No comments: