Friday, August 29, 2008

The Ultimate Do Not Call List




Ok, so for many reasons, being a new widow is not fun. There is the hurdles you jump through when changing health insurance to the COBRA benefits, the new widow box you have to check every time a form needs to be completed, there is the painfully visible absence of Dad on the first day of school and the annoyingly stinky garbage that needs to be taken out each Sunday night just to mention a few. But every once-in-a-while you come across a hidden benefit you never expected.

Today Amanda answered the phone for me, Chloe and Evan are battling strep throat and a nasty fever that won't seem to go away so I was busy tending to them. I could tell by the caller ID that it was an 800 number and was just about ready to tell her not to answer when I heard her sweet voice say,
"Hello, who is this? My name is Amanda." (We've been practicing our phone etiquette) Then just as sweetly she says,"Sorry, he's dead but you can talk to my mom".
Now before you start to think how sad, let me just say that before I could put the phone to my ear the line was, for lack of a better word, dead too. I guess we just enrolled ourselves into the ultimate "do not call list".

I hope you too will be able to find humor and gratitude in silver linings today. No matter what the situation, God always sends one. I think it's his way of reminding us we're not alone and he is in control.

We're all doing well here, except for being sick. KONE came today and picked up Eric's car. It was sad, just another reminder that he's not coming back. Every time I walk to the garage, I'm reminded again. I suppose buying a sports car isn't the solution but it seems like a good idea right now! I'll keep you posted.

Blessings to you all!
Amy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, leave it to Eric & your family to top Bryan's response of "well, she left for the store 2 days agao, but the kids and I are SURE she'll be back any minute now". Toppers!! Loved the thoughts. Lots of love to you!!

bradshawtwins said...

Kids...you just gotta love em. I did get a chuckle out of Amanda's response and could just hear her saying that. I was talking with a friend today who moved her children to WA this year and we were trading stories about what our kids are learning in Kindergarten. She asked her son if he had started to learn to read yet, and his response was, "no, that's not till college". I haven't laughed that hard in a long time because I actually heard him say it. Thank God for our kids, because they can get us through some pretty tough times with their humor alone and they don't even know their doing it. We think of you daily and miss you so much. Please give the kids hugs & kisses from all of us. We so enjoyed our time with you all a couple weeks ago and wish it could have been longer. You will always be a special part of our lives.

Love, Susan