Friday, August 1, 2008



The last week has been quite busy. Busy with all the things of a spouse dying they don't bother to show you on "Steel Magnolias" or "Terms of Endearment". Things like visits to the bank and the health club to close accounts. I sat in the Social Security office and was just struck by all the papers strewn about on the desk. To them that is who Eric was, just a bunch of documents. My sister reminded me, he was so much more than that. But reality had already struck.

Eric's ashes arrived yesterday. It was a strange moment in that they also delivered the tie Eric wore. His mom wanted to keep it and so the tie was removed after the funeral. I just stood there with the tie in one hand and the urn in the other. Talk about the irony. I'm not sure you could have scripted a better scene. The only thing missing was a sad background song about the finality of it all.

I did a Beth Moore study this spring and one of the sessions talked about how God sings over our lives.
Zephaniah 3:17
17 The LORD your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing."
Eric and I had a long talk about this, it was one of the last God talks we had. He loved the idea that God sang in general but specifically sang over us. Beth Moore reasoned God must have taught the stars and angels to sing (Job 38:7). How else would they have known? She went on to say that "our salvation experience is accompanied by music". God and the heavens singing over us when we get it right, singing over us when we get it wrong, singing over us when the music's qued for the sad background song. I suppose because Eric loved music so much he cherished the thought of God singing over him. We never talked about what those songs would have been. I wish now I would have asked. He always had a soft spot for the heavy metal hair bands. Beth Moore made the joke that when we got to heaven, Jesus would meet us at the gates with our own personalized CD. A compilation of the "greatest hits" of our lives, all sung by God himself. I sort of hope that one really happens.

My dad's brothers & wives gave us a gift certificate for the local nursery. I had a tree delivered this morning and planted in the back yard. It is a beautiful tree about 17 feet tall already. In it's prime it should be 60 feet tall with beautiful orange/red fall colors. Seemed like a fitting tribute. The kids and I sat in it's shade this morning. When you live in a new subdivision, shade is a valuable commodity. I've been trying to think of the appropriate song for our soundtrack. The only one I can think of is Coldplay's "fix you". I'm pretty sure God's up to the challenge. What's God singing over you right now?

I've finally got the details ironed out for the service in Florida.
Friday August 15th, 5:30pm
Christ Church UM Gym
4845 NE 25th ave
Fort Lauderdale
954-771-7300

I added the picture of the kids at the funeral. I hope you like it!

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

what a beautiful gift to see your children all singing along to their daddies favorite songs. i smiled as the tears rolled down my face as they continued, "hallelujia, hallelujia, your love make me sing..."
still praying for you! can't wait for our first home depot outing tomorrow for kid projects! see you then :o)

Joe Mazza said...

It was truly an inspiring service, Amy. And since you mentioned Eric's love of rock, I need to confess something.

While playing guitar in the corner at the viewing, I knew no one could really hear me and so I was just playing for Eric. I played a few worship choruses but then I smiled and told him I'd do some songs just for him. I started to play The Killers, some Jimi Hendrix, and a few other songs he and I had enjoyed in the past few years. It felt really right to play those songs and I'm sure it made him smile too. I don't know too many people who have used Hendrix at their viewing... ;)

Brenelly Lozada, MD said...

Exodus 15:2 "The Lord is My Strenght and My Song..."

Unknown said...

I just spoke with Susan Crapo and had the wonderful opportunity to share our precious memories of your precious husband with one another. You and your family are in my daily thoughts, daily prayers, daily everything. Thank you for coming to Fort Lauderdale to grieve and celebrate with all of us. You are an inspiration.