Monday, June 23, 2008

AGGH! You sunk my battleship!!!


Yesterday was a long day of pain meds every 2 hours with a climax and 10:30pm with a call to the hospice nurse. Sam was wonderfully successful in bringing him from a 8 out of 10 pain level to a 2 so he could sleep comfortably. What a difference 12 hours can make. We've adjusted the medications and doses and now, the battleship bonanza has begun. As I write this, Bob has sunk three battleships and the Chloe/Eric team is knocking on the door of their third sinking! Update: Eric/Chloe won the game!!!

While yesterday was a day in bed for Eric, it was full of fun for the kids. Chloe, Evan and Amanda arrived about 2pm and headed out to the beach immediately. Playing in the surf and sand with cousins wore them out. There were many waves ridden and sand castles made. Lila even had a new dress made of sand for the beach at one time.

Eric's old boss, Jay Artzen, drove up from Atlanta to spend the day with us. What a blessing it is to visit with old friends. God and I have been having a number of conversations these days, but the one that keeps recycling is the question of how to fill the hole Eric's absence will create. As humans, we seek to fill those voids with anything we can find (I'm sure you can all relate). My big concern has been how to fill that space with good, useful and appropriate things, the sort of things that will feed and nurture the kids. As I sat and watched Jay and Evan play in the surf, being "surfer dudes", I finally heard His answer. There are many fine, upstanding, God loving men, who love Eric so very much. For many years I have teased Eric about his "boyfriends", now I'm asking you all for a huge favor. I will be counting on you to help me fill the void a father leaves behind. I know that is a huge responsibility and commitment but, I am confident you will hear God's calling an be obedient in your response. I've seen it already!

I am continually grateful for the awesome gift of seeing God's hand moving in the present time. Thank you all for your participation in this gift!
Blessings to you all!
Amy

No comments: