Monday, June 30, 2008

Who ever is sitting on the couch when the ambulance comes gets a piece of candy

Personally, I thought I was being crafty when that particular phrase came out of my mouth. I was challenged with the task of packing the car and keeping the kids out of my hair. The ambulance hadn't come yet and my kids love candy. I'm not above bribery and it worked! Everyone else thinks it is the winning quote of the week.

The best thing about great friends is they allow you to laugh at your self. I can't remember the last time I laughed this much. It's one of the most cruel things about cancer, it does it's best to suck the joy right out of you. There's a line in a Indigo Girls song that goes, "If you don't laugh you'll cry your eyes out". I've tried to remember that but it helps to have friends to remind you!

I would be lying to you if I said I hadn't worried about this trip. Would Eric be able to make it to the beach, would he make it home, would he pass away before we even left? And yet here I am, three days from the end of our trip, watching Eric play guitar hero with his friends, complaining that we had to turn it off to play a stupid card game. How foolish God must think I am. He's always had a plan, and surely a part of that plan must have been to bring all these wonderful friends and family to the beach, marinating us in the love of some of our favorite people.

I can't help but think of Psalm 23.

"...You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."

I pray you find as much comfort in the promises of the bible as I do. And in the midst of the storm, you might be blessed enough to honestly say, my cup overflows.

Amy

4 comments:

Caryn Howard said...

Amy, Eric and Family,
Your unconditional Faith in the Lord has truly inspired me. You are in my thoughts and prayers on a daily basis.
Thinking of you,
Caryn

Jeff said...

Eric,
I recently learned about your illness from Jim N in Elmhurst. Even though I haven't seen you in years, probably not since we were both at U of I, I want you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your strength and faith through this challenge is truly inspiring. Peace to all of you.
Jeff Knuppel

Kathy Slagle said...

Dear Eric, Amy and family:

What a blessing to see you on Monday!

I think it is safe to say that I, as well as others, feel fortunate to know you and that our lives have crossed paths.

Although we don't know what our future holds, we know who holds our future.

May God continue to bless you in the days ahead.

Love you all,
In daily prayer for your family,
Kathy Slagle

Tracy Arntzen said...

Amy and Eric and family-

Just wanted you to know you are in our prayers DAILY. Jay visit with Eric meant so much to him and therefor me also. Eric has been a blessing to Jay through the years and I am so thankful they are friends. Your walk through this valley is such a great witness and may HIS peace fill your hearts each day.
In His Loving Care,
Tracy
ps use bribery whenever you can I like to call it creative parenting :)