Friday, June 20, 2008

North Carolina Here We COME!!!

This last week has been a flurry of activity. So many of you have come to visit us and sit with Eric. In times like these, when there are no words, we are so grateful that you have come to just sit, pray, and be. As I write this, there are a bunch of Eric's fraternity brothers, most of whom he hasn't seen in 15 years, bringing us lunch. We are so well loved!!!

The cancer has compromised Eric's bone marrow and the ability to make the quality and quantity of red blood cells his body needs. As your body recycles it's blood supply in about 30 days, we are grateful to hospice for allowing us to extend our good days to the beach. Wednesday morning Eric took the exciting ride down to a hospital in Chicago for a blood transfusion and a quick overnight stay. All went well, they gave him 3 pints of blood and we're hoping that will be enough to get him to the beach and back. We have talked extensively about the benefit an risks of transfusions and are expecting that to be his last.

Eric's parents left Thursday afternoon on their way down to North Carolina and the kids and my parents were off about 9am today. Eric and I will be flying, courtesy of a wonderful man named Brian, in a private plane tomorrow morning at 8am. When Eric first found out he was sick, his gut reaction was, "let's go to Ocean Isle Beach". It's the beach his family has been going to for the last 40 years. It holds a lot of memories and while traveling now is accompanied by many risks, some quite large, he wants to put his feet in the sand one last time before he dies. I think our lovely pilot said it best, "All the worries and concerns about these other things are in God’s hands and I’m confident he will provide for us. Let the angels carry us safely to our destination.".

We've had so many obstacles in our way to getting to the beach and yet God has provided for us at each step. From a plane to a hospice willing to work with us on blood transfusions to my parents offering to drive the kids the 16 hours to the beach, we haven't found one insurmountable yet. Please pray for strength for eric. We don't know how much strain travel will put on him. It is possible this may hasten the natural progression of this disease. We are praying for the miracle of strength so that we might enjoy one last family trip and return home for Eric to pass away in the peace and comfort of our home. Please as you feel the sun on your face these next two weeks, think of us and pray for strength, as you feel a warm breeze or hear the sound of water, say a prayer for Eric's safe return from the beach. We have asked for prayers from you all since the beginning of our journey but, this request alone is our most coveted.

We're bringing Eric's computer on the trip with us so look for more updates and pictures!

God blessings to you all!
Love,
Amy

2 comments:

Vanna said...

Eric and Amy,

Thanks for allowing us into your home. Eric, thanks for keeping that picture. For the record, when we get together it's like 1987-1992.

Most of us didn't know what to say. Hopefully hanging out allowed your brain to take a break. Fortunately, I was a Speech Communication which doubles at the art of public bullshitting. I think it was Trahan's minor.

Anyway, I want you both to know that I found it inspiring being around you. I heard Eric tell the nurse he was at about a 6 pain level. I assume that is uncomfortable yet tolerable. But you still managed to entertain a bunch of us.

I admired the fight you have in you. I admired that you said you're going to prove the nurses wrong about going on your trip.

All I can really say is God Bless you and your family. God blessed you with a strong wife and beautiful children. Stay Strong.

An old friend,

Vanna

Brenelly Lozada, MD said...

Dear Eric and Amy:

I have called you many times and left messages at Eric's phone. I hope you can read this message. You both have been in my prayers.

Eric, there are no words that I CAN say. But as we used to talk during the office visits, GOD has a PLAN in EVERYTHING, although sometimes it is very difficult to understand the specific reasons.

I can tell you that I hope you just do not suffer pain. I hope you can be sorrounded by good memories and by the ones you deeply love.

I pray for you to see the LIGHT and I know the ANGELS are with you in this JOURNEY. GOD WILL EMBRACE YOU. I pray for Amy's strenght, I pray for your children and your family. Most of all I pray for your serenity, your tranquility and your peace. PLEASE NEVER FORGET GOD'S PROMISES: PHILIPPIANS 4:13 "EVERYTHING I CAN DO IN CHRIST WHO STRENGHTEN ME."

GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS.