Tuesday, June 24, 2008

It takes a village...


When we heard the news that the cancer had gone to Eric's bone marrow, we had a long discussion about weather or not we should go forward with our beach plans. No one ever said they could get us here, they only offered to help us try. Weighing the risks I asked Eric if the trip would be worth it if all he was able to do was sit on the porch and have a beer with his brother. It didn't take long for him to answer YES! It was in that moment I knew we were beach bound.

Today I have the great honor to report Eric not only had that beer with his brother but made it all the way down to the beach to put his feet in the sand. Can I get an AMEN!!!

For all of you who are panicking, take a big deep breath, there was no walking on the beach for Eric. Not only does it take a village to raise a child, it also takes one to bring Eric to the beach. Please take a moment to thank God for the Plummer Family Men. With out the help of Bob Plummer (dad), Scott Plummer (brother), Bruce Tucker (uncle), Chris Tucker (cousin), Jeff Tucker (cousin), Kenny Choat (uncle), Dan Bettner (cousin-in-law), and Ernest England (cousin-in-law) we would have not been successful. Watching these eight men carry Eric down a flight of stairs in his wheelchair, pushing/carrying him through the sand was a sight to behold and a lesson in love. You see, each one of them had come to me over the last few days to let me know no matter what it took, if Eric wanted to go down to the beach, they would get him there. Ernest even threatened to throw him over his shoulder and carry Eric down himself. I was sitting at the waters edge when they all started coming down the stairs. What a sweet sight it was.

Just thinking about all of us spread out in our beach chairs around Eric, beers in hand, watching the kids play in the sand brings tears to my eyes. It is a moment I will never forget.

I sign off now with the joy that only comes from a dream realized. My deepest gratitude goes to all of you and your role in this great adventure.
In His service,
Amy

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

as the sun shines and the wind blows, you are all in my prayers! i think of you daily and pray for you continuously. thank you to our gracious God for this most amazing gift He has given to each of you! wish we were there. ENJOY!

Bill and Nancy said...

Any, Eric, Donna and Bob,
Your family is amazing. What a blessing this week has become. We search for some "normalacy" in this world of cancer. Our "toes in the sand" is one of those. I send my love as you enjoy life.
Love and Prayers,
Nancy

Evah said...

Dear Eric and family,

I am lost for words. All I can say is, praise be to the most high God! May He give you much more that you have asked for or imagined. May He show, even a glimpse, of His Glory.

Praising Him with you,

Evah.